When reading The Hidden Hand, I was struck by Capitola’s realization of the limitations that are put on girls and women in general during this time period. Capitola is forced to starve on the streets. She tells the judge that it was “because I was a girl, was not allowed to carry a gentleman’s parcel or black his boots..” (182). Capitola goes on to describe that multitude of jobs that she was not permitted to do, due to her sex. This radiated with me because this thought was not recognized by many adults, much less children during this time. Within children’s literature a it has been said that a common theme is feminism. Capitola is demonstrating this idea by showing the inequalities that are prevalent and clearly pointing out how they are wrong. The inequalities were not just seen in little girls, but women as a whole at this time.
Capitola continues to push the envelope throughout the story, not just by cross-dressing, but by proving that just because she is a girl does not mean that she has to be scared and delicate. When she is shown her room at Old Hurricane’s house the maid makes it very clear that there is a trap door and that she might not want to stay in the room for that reason. Capitola instead is almost drawn the trap door, saying, “I think I should rather like it” (202). Unlike the typical “proper girl” at the time she does not need a man to hold her hand and comfort her. The trap door is another adventure that excites her. She explains her excitement when she says, “I have been in to much deadly peril from the living ever to fear the dead” (204). Even though she is young, her age does not represent her life experience.
Capitola is not only mature beyond her years, but is also ahead of her time. She questions the labor divisions for males and females by cross-dressing, proving that she is just as capable as the boys. Her overall attitude towards life and readiness to jump into anything whether it be changing sexes or playing with trap doors also questions who women are allowed to be and what they can contribute.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ellen-
ReplyDeleteYou focused on something very important in your blog! I found the same thing to be interesting. Capitola represented a movement to prove that woman can do the same as men. It could be the author speaking her opinions through a character.
Another thing I found great about your posting is the way you pointed out how Capitola is wise beyond her years. Her past definitely created who she became in the present and future. Great points!
Ellen,
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I think what made "The Hidden Hand" stand out from the other domestic novels that we have read this semester is that Capitola is a little feminist instead of a little housewife. And even after she goes to live with Old Hurricane, that fire of "I can do anything boys can do" is still evident as she is intrigued by the trap door and tries to find the opening from the outside.
Good work!
So true! I like how you point out that Capitola is "not only wise beyond her years, but is also ahead of her time." You bring up an interesting point about Capitola's personality. She is extremely independent and allows no one to tell her what she can and cannot do. She really does question and downright challenges the limits that society puts on women. She is a little mischiveous, and I think that's why I like her. She not afraid to try and "run with the boys." How ingenious to dress up like a boy because ultimately she knows she will get better jobs and better pay!
ReplyDelete